Saturday, April 25, 2009

Observer

I was looking forward to 24th of April, because I was called back for a 2nd round interview session with AMM Direct located in Wolverhampton. Filled with excitement I woke up at 8am and got ready eager to leave a good impression with my potential employers I arrived 30 minutes early. It was a Friday afternoon, the sun was shining brightly and I thought its a beginning of a beautiful day. As I waited patiently in the waiting room I noticed that there are 6 to 8 people waiting for the same position.

A young man came into the room, dressed smartly with a coat and tie he called my name and took me to another room where my potential employer was waiting for me. He shooked my hand and told me that my role today was an observer, observing a typical day of the job. I was than introduced to a so called "top employee" and I was suppose to observe what he do. So there I was thinking, ok~ this is going to be great! I mean how could things go possibly wrong? Not knowingly it was a beginning of a nightmare..

He tooked me to the bus station, and I was wondering why the hell is he bringing me the bus station for?! There he introduced to a team of well dressed people by squatting on the streets eating breakfast! What an impression! He later than went on to get some food and joined the team of squatters leaving me dazed. So my job is squatting by the road eating food with my shirt and tie on. Hmmm... interesting..
Once they finished they board the bus and I have to pay for it ( i thought supposingly its under the company?!), so I was getting a bit pissed off. while on the bus, I was only explained that we are going to some housing area knocking on doors asking them to donate money to some charity organisation. I further pressed on asking the salary of the job and was informed it was commision based meaning no fix salary. At that point some word came into my mind - salesmen + no salaries + no benefits = F*** you! I wanted to jump off the bus, but it was really impolite to do so and afterall i should give a chance to them and see their actual working environment.

So... I was seating on the bus for one whole hour, transported from Wolverhampton to some god forsaken place, walked 30mintues to some housing area and started to knock door to door. I wanted to leave, I wanted to shout, curse, scold... but i remained a calm face. Afterall its not hes fault, he is just doing his job. We started walking from 1.30pm all the way to 4pm non stop in my formal shoes which was killing me! At 4pm, i though finally I can go back but NO~ he told me its just a break for dinner went to a nearby fish and chips stall to eat. Previously I was told by my the managing director that food, transport will be on the company. And i could leave at 6pm plus he wants to play basketball with me! I guess this are bloody lies! I have to buy my own food, pay for my own transport, bring my sports attire for nothing and could not go back at 6pm, forced to walked for hours and hours knocking on people doors. Not to mention that my leg was aching and begging for a rest, every step i make was like inserting a niddle into my feet!

Back to the nightmare, after eating for 20minutes at the fish and chips. Nononono... not at the fish and chips but ouside fish and chips because the bloody stall doesnt have chairs or tables. So there I was eating by the road in formal wear looking like a total idiot! We continued knocking on doors till 8pm and walked to the bus station. At that point I was exhausted, I did not care what he said to me or what the team of people thinks of me. I was giving a "Dont talk to me, Im fucking pissed off" face to them. Through out the one hour bus ride back to Wolverhampton office i sat alone looking out of the window and massaging my leg. I arrived back at Wolverhampton at 9pm and took my bag from the office and left without saying a word. I was supposed to fill up a questionaire or some test thing upon arriving but FUCK that, I dont give a shit. I left the office and ran to the train station to cathc the 9.20pm train. Thank god the managing director was not in the office or I would have went into his room, locked the doors, tie him up and freaking stuff my socks into his mouth, pull he`s finger nails out one by one, give him a few punches on the nose and left.

So there, I was seating on the train arriving in Cheltenham at 11pm, arriving home at 12 midnite. I have walked one year of walking in one day all thanks to AMM direct which waste my time, my energy and money.

6 comments:

wen said...

dear,still got a lot chances !!
i also wan scold that stupid manager too!

HuiHui said...

hua...damn cham...but at least,u got an experience now...
how pity is those worker salesmannn...T.T

huibee said...

whoa damn terrible!! @#$%^&*...

cant imagine if i were you what i could have done!!

were those on the job description?

anyway, take it as an experience la.. thanks for sharing this as well (=

bpeng said...

walao.. you are damn aggressive man!
but serves them right!
terrible people!

Marvin Ng said...

Wen : yeah still got alot of other jobs and i`ll be applying to other jobs. Never give up

HuiHui : Correct, next time i`ll be smarter not to apply for this similar job title. Those salesman actually enjoyed working because they want to hit certain target to be promoted.

HuiBee : Knocking door to door was certainly not in the description. They put it in a much professional way stating you have to love outdoor, have good PR skills and work togather as a team...

BPeng : Cant blame me for being aggresive girl. They really do deserve a scolding. Sigh~

HuiHui said...

oohh...those people can crap alot, who dunwan to sit in office whole day long until the butt pain...like to walk outside and sometime "sehhh" awhile as no boss guiding...hahaha...this job ngam those ppl la...summore the weather here is so nice, not lik malaysia...can walk as far as they wan...
anyway, they can jz simply hang out wif ppl ABC and asked for donation lo...*when they drunk drunk dei*...hhmm...sounds easy to hit their target...XD at the same time, they can be promoted!!! they r enjoying their life and job together...XD