Wednesday, July 27, 2011

cultures unite

Recently I have been actively involved in international groups, bringing worlds and cultures into a single unity.  Being in a country like Canada which forty percent of its populations are immigrants, it is not surprising that the other person who seats beside you on the bus is from half way across the globe and have reside in Canada and called it home.
Never in my life have I experienced that communication and speaking foreign language, knowing their culture and understanding them was so important.  I guess I took it all for granted being born and raised in a comparatively peaceful nation which prides itself in being multicultural and multiracial living under the same roof.
The group that I recently was active in does not have a name, not yet atleast.  But in my own personal view, I really don't think there should ever be a name to it.  I like it being so informal, being so open to the public and it is welcoming to everyone who does bump into our events.

Just a few days ago, I met a really interesting character.  Note that in life, my group of peers are always around my own age.  But now I have a good mix of different people from all walks of life, bringing a piece of their experience, wisdom and culture onto the table and sharing it.  He is a young japanese guy who is currently in VAN studying linguistic whom inspires to be an English teacher.  His approach to life simply threw me back and when he shares his experience it captivated me into his world.  He was rather tanned with a typical japanese long hair and spoke really good English.  He bike's around the globe.. No its not the one's with the engine in it but powered by his pair of legs.  Biking across Canada through the Rocky's covering thousand and thousand of kilometers alone, meeting new people and very much often being in nature.  He documented everything with a pen and paper but in the end he had not choice but to burn it...... *to be continued

No comments: